Cool of the Evening


About Cool of the Evening

About the Author


Buy the Book

Excerpts from the Book

Where are they now?

Other Baseball Essays

Baseball Links

Harmon Killebrew

The youngest of five children, Harmon Killebrew was an honor student who batted .500 or better during each of his four high school baseball seasons.

Killebrew rejected a University of Oregon football scholarship - in part to support his widowed mother - and signed with the Washington Senators at age 17 in 1954. He immediately pulled on a major-league uniform.

Harmon Killebrew on dugout s teps

More from Cool of the Evening

Reports surfaced that he was "a speedster," when he was being scouted in high school, although he had already suffered leg injuries and a surgery because of high school football. The leg injuries haunted him the rest of his career.

In his first big-league start, as a second baseman in August of 1954, Killebrew singled and doubled to center field and singled to left, all against Alex Kellner, a good-hitting pitcher who in 1949 became Philadelphia's first 20-game winner since Hall of Famer Lefty Grove in 1933.

That performance drove in two runs during a 10-3 win in which the Senators produced a season-high 18 hits.

Known as a quiet, polite man who was never ejected from a game, he was no pushover on the field. In his early seasons he was reported to have "occassionally argued with umpires," and one day when veteran White Sox second baseman Nellie Fox slid into Killebrew at third base, he verbally ripped into Fox.

But he was almost sheepish after hitting home runs. A coach noted a small grin on Killebrew's face after a home run in Chicago during the '59 season, and commented, "that's showing emotion for him."

The SALK shots

Killebrew was not overjoyed when the Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961. He was concerned how the cold and wind in Minnesota would affect the team's hitting. The Senators did not win much, but in 1959, the SALK shots - Roy Sievers, Bob Allison, Jim Lemon Killebrew - started a long stretch during which owner Calvin Griffith's teams were known for power.

But Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota could not hold Killebrew, and he credited the symmetrical ballpark with helping him out of slumps.

With the fences in left and right equidistance from home plate, Killebrew -- a pull-hitter who slumped when he tried to pull the ball to left field too much -- claimed he could hit the ball where it was pitched during slumps, go to right field and get his timing back without sacrificing power.

The night belonged to Killebrew: Twins honor Harmon after his Hall of Fame Induction.

He was the American League's premier power source in the early 1960s. His 40th home run during his first season in a Minnesota Twins' uniform came in Kansas City and was reported at 480-feet -- the longest ever hit in the A's stadium.

Allison, Killebrew, Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat were four of the more popular Minnesota Twins during the 1960s. They were originally signed for less than $45,000; Killebrew got $30,000 of that.

Killebrew put the period on a remarkable career with his 1984 induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, finishing with 573 career home runs. But he wasn't immune from considering the road not taken.

As a high school senior, he was recruited by the Oregon football program to replace George Shaw at quarterback. Four years later, Oregon won the Rose Bowl. In 2004, he reflected on that.

“I always wondered, if I had been there, would they have still gotten to the Rose Bowl?”

harmon killebrew autograph over baseball

Where are the 1965 Minnesota Twins?


Killebrew's road to Cooperstown was anything but smooth

The night belonged to Killebrew: His night at the Metrodome

Harmon Killebrew Night on David Letterman

Crunch time: Killebrew home run vs. Yankees

Harmon Killebrew was born in Payette, Idaho in the summer of 1936, 15 miles from Weiser, Idaho. That's where Walter Johnson pitched semi-pro ball. U.S. Senator Herman Welker, who tipped Washington Senators' owner Clark Griffith to Killebrew, graduated from Weiser High School.

Harmon passed on May 17, 2010 after four months of treatment for esophageal cancer.

  © Cool of the Evening 2004contact us